Friday 12 August 2011

The Third Person

Occasionally, a passenger will use the third person tense when informing the driver of something which they themselves have done wrong. This happened today.

Two young women left my bus in the bus station and said that 'there has been a spillage of drink upstairs on the floor. You might want to have a look at it".

I headed up there and spotted that someone had clearly spilt a reasonably amount of clear liquid (it could have been piss, but I took the view that it probably was simply water or cordial) but this was located on the floor at the very back of the bus. No one else other than the offender would have known about it.

I'd much rather the culprit say, "I'm really sorry, but I've spilt a little bit of drink on the floor upstairs."

It's not as if I could throw her off as she was leaving at the end of the route anyway.

Common Sense Solution: Ban drinks on board. X-ray all passengers' possessions and check for lice. Oh for such a world...

No comments:

Post a Comment