Thursday 25 August 2011

Good old-fashioned PR

Despite my literary outbursts herein, I'm a particularly conscientious person. This is probably why the things that annoy me make such an impact.

Today, a female passenger boarded and asked me a question about her fare prior to me issuing it. She was travelling to Village X and on her return, wanted to get off at Village Y en route. I said that our straightforward day return ticket would not let her do this and that she needed to purchase an all-day, unlimited travel ticket. However, Villages X and Y are not too far apart and neither was more than 10 minutes from where the lady was boarding, so I used the ticket machine to calculate the individual fares.

She would save £0.30 by purchasing an all-day ticket. This she did and although 30p won't break the bank, what she was charged was in line with my company's procedures and was as bespoke as possible for her needs. And she makes the journey a couple of times per week, so knew what to do in future, when catching her first bus of the day.

Sadly, this was not enough for the lorry driver, stationary in traffic, adjacent to me. He was heading in the opposite direction and the location of the stop I was at to his traffic lights meant that my bus was causing a backlog of traffic. My understanding of the situation was that his lights were on green but nothing could move as cars behind were occupying the box junction.

These things happen, but Mr Tachograph thought it worthy to blast his air horn at me. I looked to see what the matter was and saw him gesturing to me so made no response and continued with the transaction at no greater or lesser speed than I'd planned on doing.

OK, I might have gone a bit slower, deliberately.

There's a moral here somewhere, for the lorry driver.

Common Sense Solution: I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment