Thursday 6 October 2011

Just Desserts

We bus drivers can, occasionally, get our own back on certain passengers who have caused us grief over the past few weeks/months/years. They're tiny victories but victories nonetheless.

Today I got one over on a particularly miserable, rude and ignorant OAP. It was pissing down with rain in a Force 8 gale and she asked me to go slightly past the bus stop and drop her outside her house. I declined the 'offer'.

"Well that's funny, all the other drivers reckon to when it's raining!"

Not me, flower. Perhaps if you said 'thank you' occasionally when leaving my bus or greeted me with a smile from time to time, I'd be more obliging. As it is, you don't so I'm not.

Naturally I kept these thoughts to myself, but took great delight in seeing her become a drowned rat within seconds.

I know some of my colleagues wouldn't do it for anyone, so to suggest everyone else did it is rather disingenuous to say the least.

Common Sense Solution: Officially, bus companies would rather their drivers not 'ad lib' as it were, and stick rigidly to the stops. If one OAP sees this, you can be sure another on board will want the same treatment. Also, the first OAP could come to expect this 'personal' touch, which delays the service somewhat. The woman in today's tale of woe would have possibly expected me to drop her outside her door when it was a bit chilly outside next. As I've oft-lamented, CONSISTENCY is the order of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment