Wednesday 27 July 2011

Care in the Community

Since the introduction of the free bus pass for those with an entitlement to a concessionary fare, I've seen an increase in people with learning difficulties travelling on the buses with one of them. Previously - and when local councils had more money - these people would receive dedicated transport and not be allowed to head onto a service bus for a number of reasons. Not so now. Budgets and all.

A lady travels regularly from the town centre to a suburb and has learning difficulties. She is polite enough but I've always wondered what her problem is. I found out today.

I pulled into the terminus bus station and 50+ people started to leave my bus (it was an 'all change!' moment). This lady was stood waiting to get on, with one of our timetables in her hands, unfolded. My cheery passengers were saying 'thanks' and 'cheers' and 'bye' as they left and then she started to force her way on.

"Not yet!" I said, sternly, but politely.

"But I want to ask you something, driver," she said.

"Well just wait til everyone's off!" I said back. Pretty simple really.

This worked while 20 or so alighted, but then it was if something clicked in her head and she lost all sense of reason and came bounding on, like a proverbial bull in a china shop. Well I wasn't having this. Not a chance.

"I've told you once and I won't tell you again, get off and stay off until I say it's OK to come on!" I actually shouted, though not too loudly, as I didn't want to accidentally offend the people leaving my service.

The woman, however, had no such qualms. At the top of her voice and on at least 15 consecutive occasions, she bellowed "ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT!" (you get the rest...)

I thought she was having some kind of fit. Eventually the noise stopped and she went back to her 'normal' self. She then boarded, asked me the question that she already knew the answer to, and left.

I take note of these incidents more than others as anyone could have walked into the ridiculous situation this lady - who must have severe psychological issues - set in motion. We're told in our training that 'everyone is unique' and that we must not be so 'black and white' (surprised they can get away with saying that nowadays!) in how we deal with people.

I will now treat this woman differently to everyone else, that I can be sure of.

Common Sense Solution: The Utopia would be for local authorities to provide transport for people who clearly cannot conduct themselves on buses due to mental disorders. To scream at the top of your voice for as long as this lady did was completely and utterly wrong. I'm not her social worker and so cannot give her the level of attention she is clearly used to receiving. This outcome being a non-starter, I would like all bus stations to have a 'set down' point, which is in a different location to the boarding stands/bays/gates. That way, we could drop our passengers off without fear of being accosted by lunatics and pull onto the boarding point when we are good and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment