Thursday 1 December 2011

Wrong Way

Can you believe someone of my expertise, knowledge and all-round 'greatness' went the wrong way the other day? Deary me. I guess it happens to the best of us.

There was an ambulance following me so I felt obliged to get out of its way and I saw a bus stop ahead with a lay-by that would get me off the main carriageway, so I took it. Only trouble was I should have turned right immediately beforehand and overshot the turning.

Arse!

And can you believe the ruddy ambulance actually turned right down the road I should have? While my actions had got me out of its way, the passengers never actually saw what I'm sure some of them thought was a fictional ambulance. I told them what the situation was and found a road to reverse into further up the road and made the slight delay to the timetable up, so everything was OK in the end.

Common Sense Solution: I suppose as much as we motorists like to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle attending a 999 call, sometimes you can really fuck yourself up. In London, there have been examples of people getting fixed penalty notices for moving ahead of a white line at traffic lights and into a yellow hash box so that an ambulance can get past them. The FPNs haven't been rescinded either. "The law is very clear about occupying a yellow box". Well I hope that a family member of the person who deals with these matters isn't the one foaming at the mouth at the bottom of the stairs that the ambulance is trying to get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment